I have been making this salad for about 30 years. It is always a success and everyone loves it. It is totally acceptable to use as a dessert, it is that good! You can use any fruit you have on hand during the summer months, but I prefer not to use citrus, kiwi or pineapple as the sauce doesn’t mix well with those particular fruit flavors. I am happy to share this family favorite, and hope it will become a family favorite or yours too!
- Cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, black berries, raspberries, bananas, peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums, mango, papaya and grapes are my favorite fruits to use, but you can use all or any combination you prefer.
- Salt, sea salt flakes
Cut up your fruit choices into (roughly) one inch cubes; berries are fine as they are, but I do cut strawberries in quarters and grapes in half. I cut up about 3 pounds of fruit in total.
Put into serving bowl.
Summer Salad Sauce
This sauce makes all the difference, bringing out and enhancing the flavor of the fruit.
(Makes approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup organic whole fat plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup organic cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup organic raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Use a stick blender to mix the yogurt and cream cheese together to make a creamy smooth sauce, add the vanilla and the honey. You can substitute stevia to taste in place of the honey if you prefer.
Carefully pour the sauce over fruit and gently toss, or serve in individual dessert bowls.
Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt flakes on top. The salt enhances the flavors and the sweetness of the fruit.