You may have heard the word “adaptogens” floating around the wellness atmosphere lately. This is a property in certain herbs that help the body respond and “adapt” to stress. Among such adaptogens as Ashwagandha, Holy Basil, and Ginseng, lies the Reishi mushroom.
Known as “Lingzhi” in Chinese, this medicinal mushroom is often referred to as the Mushroom of Immortality, and has been used in Asian cultures for thousands of years. It’s about time we got our hands on it in the Western world!
Here are several, seemingly magical, health benefits:
- Immune Enhancing. One of the most touted benefits of this mushroom, Reishi is a major contributor to healing the immune system. Furthermore, many people who suffer from auto-immune disorders have a difficult time healing due to their overactive immune systems. Reishi, however, is able to provide a healthy balance in the immune system so as not to trigger adverse reactions.
- Antioxidant. There have been several studies that have proven Reishi’s positive impact on combating cancer. The consumption of this mushroom has the ability to reduce the oxidation of cells and free radicals.
- Improves Cognitive Function. Research has been done showing improvements in healthy brain function, including decreasing effects of Alzheimer’s disease. Reishi also contributes to the production of nerve growth factor, a protein involved in maintaining a healthy mind.
- Healthy Heart. Regulating blood glucose levels, improving the lining of blood vessels, and regulating blood pressure are all ways Reishi helps your heart stay healthy and functioning.
So now that you know the benefits, why not bring it into your wellness routine with these delicious recipes!
1. Cacao Reishi Hot Cocoa
Makes 1 Mug
- 2 tsp. Reishi Powder (my favorite brand is Sun Potion)
- 1 Tbsp. Cacao Powder
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- Oat Milk (any other milk alternative can be used, too)
Heat milk on stove to just below a boil. Mix the rest of the ingredients well until clumps are gone. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and cacao powder on top. Cozy up and savor the benefits.
2. Coconut Reishi Smoothie
Makes 1 16oz. glass
- Coconut Milk
- 5 pitted dates
- 1/4 cup Almond Butter
- 2 tsp. Reishi Powder
- 1 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 1 drop Vanilla Extract
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Sip and enjoy!