From a very young age, I used get nausea from any food item that had a pronounced eggy smell. This, along with being a vegetarian by choice, led me on a quest for THE recipe for chocolate cupcakes. For me, this rich, moist vegan recipe is the perfect solution.
This recipe makes an 12 regular cupcakes or 18 mini cupcakes.
- 1 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk) or Milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (any non-fragrant oil)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (optional: gluten-free flour)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular (or a mix of both)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 175C / 350F
Whisk together the milk, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
Add the vinegar at this point. And mix it in. You will notice it fizzes up. That’s the secret 😉
Grease an 8 inch cake tin or line a muffin tin with paper cases.
Pour in the batter and bake for 32 to 35 minutes for the cake and 12 to 16 minutes for the cupcakes, until a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
About the Author: Hishma Shah
Hishma Shah is a food stylist and photographer based out of Nairobi, Kenya. As a former food magazine editor, she now loves experimenting with vegetarian and vegan recipes. She is also a certified wine taster from the Cape Wine Academy. Follow her on Instagram at @hish72