With our busy schedules, it is a challenge to eat home cooked meals that are both easy to prepare as well as nutritionally dense. Nothing brings me more joy than a healthy dinner that takes less than 30 minutes to create. Fish is a very popular choice in our household. Fatty fish; particularly salmon and trout are weekly staples. They are quick to defrost safely, and quick to cook as well. Served alongside a healthy grain, roasted vegetables or a salad and viola, you have a healthy dinner.
Rainbow trout is a great fish choice that is similar, yet also different from salmon. It has a more buttery flavor and a lighter texture than salmon yet it shares similar health benefits with salmon. Rainbow trout is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA which their consumption has been linked to decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, hypertension, and depression. Additionally it is a rich source of protein. It has up to 21 grams of protein in a 3-ounce serving. It is also a good source of Vitamin A which is an antioxidant, in addition to vitamin B12 and other B vitamins which all aid in digestion and energy balance.
Rainbow trout is considered a high quality protein, a popular choice by athletes due to its various health benefits. Protein and good fats provide satiety, and nourishment that can banish hunger pangs and sluggishness.
Oven Roasted Rainbow Trout
Time: 10-15 mins
This fish goes well with a healthy grain such as black rice, quinoa or brown rice. You can serve it also with herbed roasted potatoes, roasted veggies or a salad.
- 1 butterflied cleaned rainbow trout (or 4 3-ounce filets)
- Table spoon of Italian herb mix (I used the Costco brand)
- Himalayan sea salt
- Black pepper
- ¼ thinly sliced white onion
- 1 thinly slices lemon
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Wash the fish with cold water, pat with paper towel.
- Cover a roasting pan with parchment paper and place the fish on top.
- Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle with mixed herbs, salt, black pepper.
- Top the fish with the white onion slices, and lemon slices, alternating the two.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then turn on the broil and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Watch for crisping edges, you can also check the middle with a fork to see if it is cooked through.
- Remove from oven carefully and serve with a starch and a side of veggies.