It’s amazingly difficult to come up with a natty title related to peppers so excuse this one!!
It isn’t however difficult to appreciate the wonderful health benefits that colorful bell peppers can provide when eaten, so I’ve made something containing both red and yellow ones to demonstrate how great and easy it is to eat the rainbow.
This baked egg dish is called Shakshuka, with Middle Eastern origins and a lot of spicy flavor. I’ve used red bell peppers in the Shakshuka plus yellow ones in the chopped kale salad.
Bell peppers contain the antioxidant carotenoid which provide amazing preventative properties to the body (anti-inflammatory in particular).
1/2 white onion diced
1 small red bell pepper chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 14 oz cans of good quality diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
5 fresh eggs
1/2 tsp of cumin, paprika, chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Small handful of chopped cilantro to garnish
Salt and pepper to season
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy and deep skilled & cook the onions until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
2. Add the bell pepper and fry gently until soft (about 5 minutes).
3. Add the tomatoes and stir well then add all the spices and mix. Cook for about 10 minutes simmering on a low heat.
4. Crack in the eggs one by one and season the whole pan. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the eggs are set.
5. Garnish with the cilantro and season again with black pepper.
6. Serve with a chopped green salad with sliced yellow peppers and a light lemon and olive oil dressing.