There is no doubt that there is a ton of comparison in the world. Society imposes on us ideals of what we should do, what we should look like, what we should listen to, and the way we should act. So many of us internalize it and think that we aren’t enough. So often, we compare our beginnings to those who are more experienced in whatever it is that we are going after, only to feel worse about ourselves.
You are enough. You are more than enough. We are all doing the best we can with what we have, and comparing to others lowers our vibrations and brings us down.
Theodore Roosevelt said ‘Comparison is the thief of joy.’ Think about what you are holding onto and the things that are taking the joy out of your life. Whether that be multiple demands, material things, people, stressful situations, or anything else. By releasing the things that we are holding onto that are not serving us, we are able to increase the joy in our lives.
Here are five simple strategies you can follow to increase the joy in your life:
- Eliminate the noise – Clear your physical space of things that are not bringing you joy. When we feel tight in our physical space, our mind feels cluttered. Unsubscribe to things that don’t resonate with you on social media, in your email inbox, and in your podcasts. Clear your home of things that cause noise and turmoil in your life. It is okay to let go.
- Say ‘no’ to things that do not align with your purpose and passion. Saying no can be difficult, absolutely. Setting boundaries shows others that you care about yourself and gives you more time freedom to say ‘yes’ to things that do align with your purpose and passion. Prioritize the things that bring you joy.
- Listen to your intuition – If we eliminate the ‘stuff’ that is clouding our judgement and listen to what is deep within our soul, we will have more power to listen to the things that most resonate with us.
- Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Jim Rohn said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” At times we notice that when we talk with someone a lot, we take on some of their characteristics, tendencies, and beliefs. Are the people that you are surrounding yourself with people who are a positive influence in your life and your being? People who you are proud to say that you are aligned with? Pull yourself back from those that provide toxic energy, and infuse yourself with positive energies to increase your vibration and your joy.
- Take care of yourself – Taking care of ourselves and putting ourselves at the top of our priority list is an important part of having more joy in our lives. By filling up our own cups we can pour into those around us in a joyful way. Recently, I wrote an article titled: ‘Self Care: 7 Simple Strategies.’ Often times we think that self care has to be a big elaborate thing. Small actions over time add up! Pour into yourself so that you can pour into others.
Being true to ourselves will infuse more joy into our lives. The energy that surrounds us, both positive and negative, will have a huge impact on the trajectory of our lives. By eliminating the noise, saying no to things that don’t resonate with us, and saying yes to the things that do, we are able to have the space to trust and honor our intuition, surround ourselves with people who lift us up, and prioritize self care.